The Civil Construction Foreman will be responsible to coordinate operations and oversee workers at construction sites. As the point of reference of both workers and supervisors, you will be a key person for the completion of a project.
The construction foreman needs a solid background in the field with leadership skills and extensive experience and the ability to direct the work of others and make quick decisions. He/she must be well-organized and favor safety above everything else.
Task and Responsibilities:
- Overseeing the coordination of construction works and ensuring that they are in accordance with priorities and plans
- Producing schedules and monitoring the attendance of crew
- Inspecting construction sites frequently and ensuring that manpower and resources are adequate
- Supervising the use of machinery and equipment
- Tracking expenditure and ensuring that it stays within budget
- Identifying and resolving problems that may arise during construction processes
- Guaranteeing and implementing safety precautions while also ensuring that quality standards are met
- Reporting the progress of construction projects to managers, supervisors, engineers, and other relevant personnel.
- Studies blueprints to determine dimensions of structure
- Selects materials and structural units, ensuring conformance with provisions of building code and local ordinance
- Determines sequence of activities concerned with fabrication, assembly, and erection of structure
- Assigns workers to such tasks as cutting material to size, building concrete forms, erecting wooden framework, installing doors, building stairs, and laying flooring.
- Ensures safety precautions are followed
- Inspects work performed by subcontractors, including ductwork, wiring, and pipe installations, to ensure conformance with specifications
- Mentors, coaches, trains and develops team
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven experience as Civil Construction foreman
- In-depth knowledge of construction procedures, equipment and HSEQ guidelines
- 6+ years progressive construction experience
- 3+ years in a leadership role
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including analysis, interpretation, & reasoning)
- Solid understanding and application of mathematical concepts
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with peers and colleagues across the organization, as well as internal and external clients
- Ability to work well autonomously and within a team in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work with and influence peers and management
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget.
- Technical Skills – Ability to read architectural and engineering drawings. knowledge of site planning, architectural design, aﬀordable housing ﬁnance precepts; experience securing government entitlements such as zoning; construction techniques; real estate law; negotiations.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clariﬁcation; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data eﬀectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s eﬀorts to succeed.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best ﬁt the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Eﬀectively communicates changes to relevant stakeholders.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and oﬀers help when needed.
- Leadership - Internal: participates in relevant annual budgeting and strategic planning; works eﬀectively with internal support services (ﬁnance, human resources, IT, and development); Participates in internal leadership committees